Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is the legal governing and policy making body of SHC. The Board’s power is delegated to it by the Membership through House discussion & vote, and Membership referenda. Directors of the Board take into account the needs of the Members as well as the longevity of the Corporation as a whole.
Each SHC house has a single representative on the Board, with Executive Committee members serving as non-voting members. Additionally, there are several non-voting At-Large members who join in Board discussions during meetings.
The Board shall exercise all the responsibilities of the By-Laws, and each Board member has the following specific roles and responsibilities:
- Role as Representative:
- Represent his/her individual cooperative at Board meetings in an effort to further the best interests of the membership.
- Represent the Board of Directors actions, efforts and discussions and report these to her/his individual cooperative in order to further understanding of SHC issues.
- Reading the Board Packs in order to obtain input and discussion from House members.
- Role as Trustee:
- Act as the legally responsible representative for all corporate policy-making activity.
- Act in the best interests of SHC in order to provide for the longevity of the corporation.
- Ultimately answerable for all Staff and Executive Officer actions.
- Consider of any concerns or operational difficulties that may arise within the organization as presented by Members, Officers or Staff.
- Providing for the long-term planning and development of the MSU-Student Housing Cooperative, Inc..
- Publish and distribute an Annual Corporate Report within the first quarter of each calendar year.
- Taking action necessary to provide a cooperative environment and proactive solutions.