Bower Cooperative

 

About



127 Whitehills

  • Members: 19 (17 singles, 1 non-single)
  • Floors: 3
  • Bathrooms: 7
  • Mealplan: Yes, Vegetarian/Vegan Option
  • Refrigerators: 3
  • Laundry: 1 washer, 1 dryer
  • Common Areas: Living room, dining room, kitchen
  • Highlights: Newly renovated, organic garden, outdoor composting
  • Bus Line: Abbot Rd. Bus Line
  • Nearby Locations: Post Office, Library, Hannah Community Center
  • Blocks from campus: 10

 

History

Several houses were established after World War II to house veterans returning to college. In 1947, Bower House became the fifth housing co-op in East Lansing. Named after Bob Bower, who was killed during the war, it remained an all-men's house until the late 1960s. Over the next several years, the men continued to dominate house governance. Tensions rose when Vietnam veterans returned to the house. In 1971, Bower House joined SHC, and the house eventually became a vegetarian-themed co-op.

Today, Bower House is one of the most demanded co-op houses in East Lansing. In addition to being a vegetarian house, vegan options are included with every meal. Bower prides itself on being very environmentally-aware through its recyling and food purchases.

 

Interested?

Contact Melanie Strouse (strouse9@msu.edu)