MSU Student Housing Cooperative

The MSU Student Housing Cooperative (MSU SHC) is a non-profit, autonomous organization providing an affordable off-campus housing option to students and the Greater Lansing community. There are more than 240 members in our 17 houses. Houses vary from 5 to 29 members, each with their own character and history. Our name honors our historical affiliation with Michigan State University, where we remain a registered student organization. However, we operate independently from the university with additional requirements and guidelines for membership.

Find us on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram!

The History of the SHC

-1939- Hedrick Co-op is established at 415 Albert
-1939- Elsworth Co-op is established at 218 Albert
-1941- Hedrick members purchase the house at 903 East Grand River
-1944- Bower purchased in the summer at 708 E. Michigan State University
-1946- Motts Co-op established; Ulrey men's co-op established
-1947- Bower co-op established
-1948- Howland co-op established; All Nations co-op established; Hedrick repopulated at 903 East Grand River
-1949- Beal Street co-op established
-1950- All Nations co-op closes; Elsworth sells 218 Albert, the members build 711 W. Grand River
-1954- Hedrick co-op on 903 E. Grand River burns down
-1956- Hedrick co-op rededication at 140 Haslett (now Collingwood) by MSU President Hannah
-1963- Howland co-op buys 548 M.A.C.
-1964- Hedrick co-op purchases 146 Haslett (later to be Farency co-op)
-1969- SHC forms as a federation of Bower, Elsworth and Hedrick; Ulrey Men's co-op closes, starts up Ulrey Trust Fund; Ulrey Women's co-op starts up at 437 and 445 Abbott
-1970- Eleutheria co-op established (rental property); Evergreen co-op established
-1971- SHC becomes a collective land trust; Motts house closes, members move to 420 Evergreen (aka Raft Hill)
-1972- The Raft is renamed Knight House co-op; Eleutheria destroyed by fire; Ulrey Women's co-op established at 505 M.A.C.; Eleutheria and Ulrey repopulate Nexus; Nexus established at 437/445 Abbott; Evergreen co-op sold to local apartment building owner's, Phunn: Bogue Street co-op rented at 207 Bogue.
-1973- Haslett Street becomes Collingwood; 501 M.A.C. purchased (potentially new housing for Nexus or New Comm)
-1974- Tralfamador co-op established at 501 M.A.C.
-1975- Knight House renamed Major Raoul Lufberry; Phunn House purchased at 207 Bogue
-1976- 445 Abbott sold to a sorority; 152 Collingwood purchased as a part of Hedrick; Nexus closes at 437 Abbott; Phoenix established at 437 Abbott
-1978- New Community: 415/425 Ann Street is purchased
-1979- Phoenix closes at 437 Abbott
-1980- Major Raoul Lufberry closes; SHC obtains a $1 million HUD loan for: Woodside (910 Abbott, a co-op for a year), New Community rehabilitation, Key Largo established at 146 Collingwood, and Atlantis
-1982- Atlantis repopulated at 207 Bogue; Ulrey repopulated at 505 M.A.C.
-1985- Elsworth co-op closes, rented to Asher Christian Scientists; Ulrey renamed Zolton after Zolton Ferency at 505 M.A.C.
-1986- 146/152 Collingwood break away, renamed Key Largo
-1987- Elsworth at 711 W. Grand River rented to Sigma Alpha Mu (SAMmies); 146/152 Collingwood split; 152 Collingwood rented Asher Christian Scientists; 146 Collingwood becomes Key Largo
-1988- 501 M.A.C turned into a graduate co-op
-1989- 501 M.A.C. reopened to general membership
-1991- Miles Davis co-op established 152 Collingwood
-1992- SAMmies expelled and repopulated as Elsworth at 711 W. Grand River
-1993- Zolton closes at 505 M.A.C.
-1994- Phoenix established at 239 Oakhill; 415 Ann repopulated as a co-op (Toad Lane); Key Largo renamed Ferency after Zolton Ferency
-1995- Audre Lorde renamed Niko co-op
-1996- Orion changes its name to NASA; Elsworth closes from Summer until the Fall
-1997- NASA renamed Orion
-1998- Bower repopulated by Atlantis, Elsworth, Hedrick, Miles, and Orion; Alliance between SHC and Circle Pines formed; SHC grants Sigma Pi exclusive rights to Phoenix co-op
-2000- Phoenix repopulated by SHC, Sigma Pi moves to Niko
-2001- Niko (Sigma Pi) renamed Shadowood
-2002- Sigma Pi leaves Shadowood and leaves the SHC; Shadowood repopulated and renamed Mosier
-2009- SHC acquires the independent co-op Beal House
-2012- Major renevations are made to 415 M.A.C., reopens in the fall as Howland Co-op
-2013- Fire causes damage to Phoenix Co-op;
-2014- ...